I've been trying to stick to a relatively low carb diet. This doesn't mean that I'm doing keto for sure, but bread, pasta, and sugary snack foods are definitely out. If you're a carb addict like me, this type of dietary change leaves you pretty hungry! One of the ways that I stay full is with avocados. They're so good for you and so versatile. You can use them in so many ways! Here are some fun facts about avocados you may not know:
- Avocados are considered berries because they have a seed and a soft flesh.
- While they are technically fruits, avocados contain only trace amounts of sugar.
- Most of the avocados consumed in the US are from Mexico.
- One third of a medium avocado contains 6g of naturally good fat per serving.
- Most of the fat in avocados comes from fatty acids called oleic acid, which are the same fatty acids found in olive oil.
- Avocados don't contain any cholesterol or sodium.
- Avocados also contain almost 20 vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients, including Vitamins C, E, K, B9, and B5.
- Avocado has only 4 grams of carbohydrates per serving!
With all of these health benefits, it seems like we should be eating more avocados, right? But I'm picky. And I'm not going to just sit there and eat an avocado. SO I scoured the internet for ideas. As usual! Here's what some of my favorite bloggers are doing with avocados:
Bacon Feta Guacamole - I am a Honey Bee
Battered Avocado Fries - Foodal
Spicy Cilantro Avocado Hummus - Moon and Spoon and Yum
Ahi Poke Salad With Macadamia Nuts - Diabetes Strong
Creamy Avocado Pasta With Chicken - Mashup Mom
Dairy Free Mint Ice Cream - A Life of Happenstance
10 Minute Blackened Tilapia with Avocado Cucumber Salsa - Bowl of Delicious
White Cheddar and Sun Dried Tomato Avocado Stuffed Meatballs - Peace Love and Low Carb
Avocado Mango Salad - Sidewalk Shoes
Crispiest Avocado Egg Rolls - Baking Beauty
Cheese Taco Shells - Baking Beauty
Avocado Lime Bars - Sweet and Savory Meals
Buffalo Chicken Avocado Toast Bites - Dukes and Duchesses
Mexican Chocolate and Avocado Pudding - Muy Bueno Recipes and Stories
Paleo Chocolate Avocado Pudding Pops - The Things We'll Make
As you can see, there are so many ways to enjoy avocados! You can make both sweet and savory dishes out of it, appetizers, main courses, and snacks too! If done right, avocado can be a very kid-friendly fruit because of its mild flavor. Why not share the deliciousness with your entire family? I know I will!